Infolink

 

Search This Blog

Aug 24, 2012

Levels Of Abstraction In An MVC View

Working on a dashboard I came across a view arranged like the following diagram:




The scenario is simplified because there is more to do inside of one block than just @SomeOutput, but focus on the structure of the view. I needed to add some more behaviors to the dashboard using CSS and script code, but it only took a few minutes to achieve frustration. Sometimes the view would delegate to a partial view for a specific section of the dashboard, and sometimes the view would inline all the markup and code for a section. Then there was also the odd case of having one partial view responsible for two entire sections of the dashboard, which threw me off entirely. Being new to the code it took some time to figure out how the pieces worked together to produce the page.

Before I started making my own changes, I did a little refactoring to structure the view like so ...



... and then development life was easier. The mental model of how to map from implementation to output was simplified, and I instantly knew where to go to make different changes.

There are a number of ways you could spin this story. You could argue how the original view violated the single responsibility principle since it was taking responsibility for providing the structure of the dashboard and rendering some of the details. I'd agree with this argument. You could also argue the original view violated the single level of abstraction principle, and I'd agree with that argument, too.

In the end I simply liked the solution better because it seemed simple and symmetrical. Not many people talk about the aesthetic qualities of balance and symmetry in code, but I think it is a sign of craftsmanship that can benefit software by making code easier to understand and maintain. I bet the dashboard changes again in 3 months, and hopefully the next person has an easier time making those changes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...